In 1943 Dr. and Mrs. Coy Poitivent founded what today is Dothan Animal Hospital. The hospital is the oldest continuously operating animal hospital in Dothan and has been at the same location since its inception. Dr. Fred Garrett joined the practice in 1960 and the hospital was known as Poitivent-Garrett Veterinary Hospital.
After Dr. Don Kennington became a partner in 1968, the practice was known as Poitivent-Garrett-Kennington Veterinary Hospital. It was during the early 70's that Dr Poitivent retired and subsequently the practice saw the transition from being predominately large animal to exclusively small animal. In doing so, the practice became the first animal hospital in the area to labeled as such.
Dr. Kennington retired in 1987, Dr. Fred's son, Dr. Ben Garrett, then joined the practice. In 1987 and the hospital name became Garrett Veterinary Hospital. Dr. Fred retired in 1991 and in 1999 Dr. Brad Harris joined the practice.
The practice building itself began as a residence before its conversion to a veterinary hospital.
There have been three major additions and renovations from those simple beginnings: in 1973, 1992, and finally in 2008.
Dothan Animal Hospital is proud of its heritage and pays respect to the founding work of Dr.'s Coy Poitivent, Fred Garrett, and Don Kennington in establishing what is today Dothan Animal Hospital. Two of our present day goals are serving the needs of pets and their owners in the Wiregrass and being contributing members of our community. In our effort to meet these goals, Dothan Animal Hospital strives to honor the work and the memory of the men who founded this clinic and carry on their legacy.