Dothan Animal Hospital, the oldest continuously operating animal hospital in Dothan, Alabama, was founded in 1943 by Dr. and Mrs. Coy Poitevint. Dr. Fred Garrett and Dr. Don Kennington became partners in the mid 60’s with the hospital operating as Poitevint Garrett Kennington, Inc. Doctors Poitevint and Kennington eventually sold their interest in the practice, with Dr. Fred Garrett operating the hospital as Garrett Veterinary Hospital. Dr. Fred Garrett was joined in practice by his son, Dr. Ben Garrett in 1987; in 1991 Dr. Fred Garrett retired. Dr. Brad Harris joined the practice in 1999.
In 2002, the practice became Dothan Animal Hospital and operates as such today.
Originally founded as a mixed animal practice, in 1974 Dothan Animal Hospital became the first practice in South Alabama to be limited to small animals.
Since its construction in 1943, Dothan Animal Hospital has had four additions. The most recent addition, completed in 2009, included a new lobby and addition and renovation of our exam rooms.